Monday, May 5, 2008

Letter to women at Parties

Recently, Leanna, my very prompt friend, of Beets, Butter and Mountaintops fame wrote a great post about women and networking events.

To read her letter click here. I was at that networking event where Pilates was on TV. I of course always believe myself to be starving, and/or on the verge of a last meal, so I may have thought some of the things the women said, but I ate anyway.

I always eat. You never know when the world is going to run out of food. Seriously, I have very little self control when it comes to food. I like it. It tastes good. I have to say, that I always think it is weird that so many people don't eat at social events. I always feel like a pig. (yes, Stacey, this is yet another judgement.) It doesn't stop me from eating. People may be thinking 'she really doesn't need that fourth mini-pizza thingy because her pants are going to bust open', yet I eat anyway.

I may think about what other people think, but then I generally do what I want...especially when it comes to food. Now I am trying to think about whether or not I am hungry, and whether or not what I am eating is healthy and filling.

It's a process. I'm learning. I could have eaten the entire bag of 100 calorie cookies...but I didn't.

4 comments:

laine said...

But see, you were hungry and you ate and didn't go on about the fact that you were eating or what you were eating or that you should be doing pilates (did the woman mean that she should actually be doing pilates right there on the floor of the salon? That would have been awesome) which meant you were a lovely person to talk to at the party, because you were talking about interesting things and not your eating habits.

And no one cares how much or what other people are eating, they are all too obsessed with their own food intake.

Jess said...

True. I have no problem eating in public. I sort of wish I did! It would have been very funny if someone had done pilates on the floor in the salon.

Stacey said...

Maybe next time we should do pilates on the floor...if nothing else people would know who we were and it would make for good blog posting.

Jess said...

we could do pilates while eating something that is clearly fattening and loaded with things that are not good for us.

ooohhh or Stacey you could and people would be like "oh she stays fit doing pilates while eating a giant cannoli, maybe I should try that". People are always looking for a good rationalization.